Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Varicella rears its ugly head


That is right - Jacob got the chicken pox. Actually about 2 weeks ago he got the third series of the varicella vaccination - sometimes that can bring on the pox. You probably can barely see the ones on his hands and wrists, and he got a few little ones on his face. Anyways I sent him to school not knowing what it was - thinking it was some kind of rash, but no! How embarrassing - I was even telling my friend in spin class that it wasn't like chicken pox. Now I am banished to my house until saturday. The vaccination version of the chicken pox is much milder - no fever, only like 30 blisters in all, and only a week of incubation.

Here is a picture of Pence and Jacob practicing safe computer playing. They must have been playing some intense games.

HUGE, BIG NEWS is that it is official - Khuong has decided to change to family practice. He is soooo excited. He says that surgery is fun, but the hours are killer and he didn't want that kind of lifestyle. What lifestyle you ask - lifestyle of the rich and famous - yep he doesn't want that kind.:)(I am just kidding) We have been praying about this huge decision for months and everything just came together perfectly. This is what he should be doing. Khuong just had a really hard time being away from us. I think he was tired of not being part of the family. Jacob was drawing pictures and leaving him out, and in the primary program the children gave their real responses to questions. Jacobs response was "I am grateful for my mom and I love her." After that comment someone turned around and asked me - "what about his dad?", to which I laughed and said "he is never home". Sad but true. When Khuong was on call we would sometimes visit him at the hospital - every time it was time to go home Jacob would be bawling because Khuong wasn't coming home. That is the main reason behind Khuongs decision - to bad I wasn't as easy as Khuong - The Lord had to work harder on me.:) We now only have a little under two years left - kind of crazy considering we had 4 1/2 left. My house is not ready so there will be some major work going on in the next year.

News in my life is I have finally signed up - I will officially participate in a mini triathalon in May. I am excited and very nervous. It is a 500 yard swim, 14.8 mile bike, and a 5k. It should not be that bad. I also had a really fun trip to NY this last weekend, but I will wait to post when I have pics.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Wow-- lots of news! Thanks for the update. Sam got a mild case of chickenpox about a year ago too. That's so funny that you didn't know what it was & sent him to school!
Congrats on your major life changes... and good for you guys.

kam said...

I agree so much to comment on.
Sorry about the pox- glad to see they are practicing safe computer playing though. Never underestimate the power of a helmet.
Congrats on going to spin and on taking on a marathon of such caliber! YOU have always impressed and amazed me- this should not come as a surprise.
Finally, congrats on having your man around a little bit more; that has to feel good on so many levels.
When are you coming home?

Ms. Kneisly said...

Forget the pox...what a major decision for you guys to make. So have you found a residency there in PA so you can keep the house for a little longer?

Author said...

hey mamacita!
I loved getting to see you in nyc, and i am totally going to find a way to come and hang in pittsburg for a day--save some of those mcdonald's dollars for me, yo!
i love the pics of the boys in helmets at the computer! LOVELOVELOVE IT!
plus I love you!